In the dark of the night (for [personal profile] boogerman)

NSFW Aug. 4th, 2016 01:47 pm
havesomefun: Jack with his hood up, looking away (Only the lonely)
[personal profile] havesomefun posting in [community profile] the_magic_shop
 His name was Jack Frost, and that was all the Man in the Moon had ever told him.

Beyond that, his life is aimless, empty, and lonely. A life where no one ever sees him, no matter how much he reaches out or screams for their attention. It took a while, but he's given up trying. Now Jack just spends his days existing, and tries to figure out what that means for him anymore.

He's not entirely unable to affect the world, at least. If he draws pictures on the ground in frost ferns, other people can see them. If he passes along a snowball to a kid that's in the middle of a snowball fight, they can hold it. Jack tries to content himself with that. He can brighten people's lives through the short winter days, even if inevitably most everyone huddles safely inside when night comes.

Night is his least favorite time of day. With no one else around, it's impossible to pretend that he's anything but alone, except for the moon. Even when it's not visible in the sky, he can feel it watching him. Which is a shame, considering that Jack tends to be most comfortable following the winter. When the cold moves on, so does he. It's when he's standing with his feet in the snow that he feels the most real.

Which makes it all the more shocking when one day he feels something or someone else watching him.

Jack is absentmindedly trudging down a side-street in a quiet town in northern England when the feeling creeps over him. He tries to ignore it, tries to dismiss it as the hallucination it so clearly is. But after another few steps, the sense of being seen and observed is impossible to ignore, especially as unfamiliar as it is.

He looks up, and finds his gaze drawn to a house at the end of the street. But he can't see anyone. There are only shadows.

...including one, deeper shadow, that seems to be slowly detaching itself from the side of the house and creeping away from it.

Date: 2016-08-04 08:00 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10464370)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
It isn't the first time he's seen the white-haired boy. He knows damn well that Snowball (as he's dubbed the boy for the time being) is a fellow spirit, because Snowball flies. Which Pitch cannot do, not these days, comparatively weak as he is. His days of glory are long past.

And that's why he hasn't spoken to Snowball, not once. Hard to have a conversation with someone you've only seen a handful of times by chance, flitting from place to place. Could this be a real chance to say hello, if the young new spirit stays grounded long enough?

Goldish-silver eyes glint at the boy from the shadows, a grin following. He sees you...

Date: 2016-08-04 11:55 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10455485)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
Scared. Snowball is scared half to death, for all the wrong reasons. Pitch was never close enough to know Snowball's deep running fears either. Now he is and he almost feels... pity. How does a spirit come about without believers to kickstart their life and give them purpose? Poor, poor thing. It hits rather close to home, too.

The man in the shadows steps forward after a moment, hands in the air to reassure Snowball. His voice is quiet, calm. "Easy, easy. I'm not going to hurt you."

Date: 2016-08-05 03:37 am (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10455413)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"You were thinking it. I knew it, I always know it. I can't possibly not know." People can close their eyes, plug their ears, but he can't stop his sixth sense and not notice fears. Only ignore them if he feels like it.

"Why yes, of course I can see you. I've seen you before, zipping round in the sky. Three times, I think. I can't fly like you, or I might have given chase."

Date: 2016-08-05 04:15 am (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286675)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
He jerks back, avoiding the touch, undead-like heart thudding once in his chest, startled that Snowball would even try. Reflexes and paranoia, that's a large part of Pitch's mind...

"I'm the Nightmare King. I know all the fear there is." Hoo boy, that's a rush of questions. Poor mad boy. "We're alike, therefore we can see each other." A hint of resignation in his voice suddenly: "They can't see me either. People who can are so rare they might as well not exist. I call myself Pitch."

Date: 2016-08-05 02:14 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286670)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"Jack Frost. I'd been calling you Snowball." he muses, half to himself, glinting eyes returning to Jack after a moment. It's been so so long since he's had a civil conversation with a fellow spirit, and that's what this seems to be shaping up to be. He's more composed and cool about it than Jack, of course. "How long have you been flittering about?"

Date: 2016-08-05 02:42 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10455424)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"Bite me, I haven't seen you do much else." Fly, make snowballs, he'd only caught glimpses. "You don't sit still long enough, or I might have spoken to you sooner."

A few years. His eyes widen slightly. This is a very young spirit, practically a baby. "And you don't know you're a spirit?"

Date: 2016-08-05 03:03 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286611)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"A ghost, a spirit, with your own magic. We can only be seen if they believe in us." He sounds very, very bitter at his last statement. So few believers. So long since he's been strong.

Then he blinks, as Jack continues on. "He spoke to you? And that's all he bothered to tell you?"

Date: 2016-08-05 04:00 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286655)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
Pitch laughs, and the bitterness has seeped into even that now. Jack's train of thought running along the same tracks his does, all the time. "That's what I always say! It's been this way for--oh, ages. I don't know anymore."

Sorry, Jackie. He has no solutions for you...

"It would have been kind of him. Shame he's never kind. Not to me and apparently not to you."

Date: 2016-08-05 05:38 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#6763422)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
Pitch has backed off, well away from the circle of ice, worried for his own safety. Perhaps the baby spirit has gone mad, or is in the process of doing so, and small wonder. At least Pitch has memories of better days, of friendship with other spooks, and such...

"For pity's sake, I wasn't laughing at you! And this doesn't have to be it! Now turn off the ice before you hurt someone!"

Date: 2016-08-05 06:35 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10275882)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
Pitch does not. He waits, watching the ice retreat like a sped-up glacier. What does he do now? He's usually the one who causes upset and then moves on, leaving sobbing children in his wake for their parents to comfort...

Jack has no parents. Spirit baby. It's pitiful. How does one comfort a child? Hugs. Touching. Kind words.

He can't bring himself to attempt a hug, or even a handshake. He might have snap himself if he does touch someone real.

Eventually, he clears his throat, unsubtle.

Date: 2016-08-05 07:51 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286593)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"You're about as fine as I am." he says, still coolly. Icy, almost. That may be how he hides his own upset, lacking a hood and out of the shadows. He glances up towards the moon, sneering for an instant, then going blank again. This is just about the cruelest thing the Man has ever done.

"Who says you have to be fine? Let the Moon see what he did to you."

Date: 2016-08-05 09:27 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286611)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"Not about me. About you? I have no idea. It's clear his mind is a strange place. Say whatever you want about me and my wrongdoings, I wouldn't wish this on anyone." Bitter, so bitter, he has centuries of bitter.

"...No harm done."

Date: 2016-08-05 11:50 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286720)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"You didn't. Trust me. You don't stir up fear, paranoia, by showing up." Enough of a tidbit for Jack to chew on? Maybe, he hopes.

Date: 2016-08-06 02:21 am (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286603)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"Why not?" Jack thinks it isn't fun. Jack's wrong. What's fun is only an opinion, and he's allowed to have different ones. "But seriously, I suppose you could say I eat them. They give me strength. All fear does."

Not to mention that it might not be a metaphor. He's thin... and he knows he wasn't always scrawny in the past. But, of course, he has no idea what hunger feels like to a living person, or eating. Or being full.

Date: 2016-08-06 09:33 am (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286688)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"Trying to get rid of me?" That doesn't make any sense, considering Jack has no one else--has never had a single other person to speak to. Unless it's too much for him to take. "Are you sure that's what you want?"

Pitch himself isn't sure. There has to be more to life than nightmares and reading books alone.

Date: 2016-08-06 03:17 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286612)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
It's funny. He used to have his own staff like that, formed from shadows, until he ran into a nasty light-demon and it burned away... Strange parallels.

"Babysit?" He arches a brow. "How is having a simple conversation anything like babysitting? You look at least sixteen, anyhow. How old do you think you are?"

He's finding he's sort of enjoying this... more than sort of. Jack is harmless. Jack doesn't mind what he is, a creature feeding off fear and nightmares. Jack's friendly. And he can admit to himself it's been... very lonely for centuries.

Date: 2016-08-06 04:23 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286654)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
He chuckles again, demeanor relaxed into something almost friendly. Friendly in a very Pitchlike way, drawling and somewhat sarcastic, but not dangerous. Or cruel. "I think if I told you how old I am, you would fly off, and we can't have that. Who knows when I'd catch you again?"

Date: 2016-08-06 07:01 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10241094)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"I don't suppose you have a 'place' of your own?" Pitch does, of course, but it's tailored to him and even a fellow spirit would probably be blind as a bat in the dark and hate it. No matter how many interesting things and comfortable chairs there are once you get past the creepy cages. "You wouldn't like mine much, it's too dark. You'd slam into the walls."

Date: 2016-08-07 04:35 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286650)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"No? I don't suppose I need it, but I do like to... 'borrow' things and I needed somewhere to keep them. And it's nice to have a place you created."

Hmm, Antarctica. He knows how to get there, of course, but with no people living there, why would he bother? "Antarctica's a large place." he points out, dryly. "We'd still have trouble running in to each other."

Date: 2016-08-11 12:42 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#6763479)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"Could you?" He won't question Jack's instincts--when he was young, he had the same about his powers. And there were more then, eons ago. "How long do you think you'd take? When should I start searching?"

Date: 2016-08-12 11:41 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286668)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
"I'll check in at Antarctica, in... ah, perhaps a week. And if I don't, I have my own entrances to home scattered here and there. You might know them when you find them. Think of it as a game."

Jack seems like the sort to play games with--someone who just wants to play in general. And his tunnels throughout the world are already there. Have been for millennia. So why not?
Edited (werds r hard) Date: 2016-08-12 11:41 pm (UTC)

Date: 2016-08-15 01:31 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10455508)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
Inwardly a bit proud of himself for reading the boy that well, when it has nothing to do with fears, to get such a good reaction... it's satisfying.

Also, gross. "No, I don't keep food down there to rot. Try not to break anything if you do somehow find one, some of my things are very old."

Date: 2016-08-15 06:59 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#10286699)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
New territory in so many ways, a friendly lonely spirit, a conversation not full of two-way hurling of insults ending in violence, a conversation at all, not just Black chattering to himself and pretending his victim is able to hear and listening... It's been so long it is very new all over again.

"No accidents or I'll find some way to make you feel guilty for the next century." He means it. Rare books about to fall apart anyway, iced over? That would be a tragedy. "Nowhere in particular yet. I wander, and I have a feeling you do too."

Date: 2016-08-15 07:41 pm (UTC)
boogerman: (pic#6763392)
From: [personal profile] boogerman
((Cue Pitch hiding them all in some sealed off cavern only he can get to?))

"Depends. What I like, I doubt you do too. There is a church nearby." Fear of God and all that, it still amuses him deeply. Spirits exist and God does not, certainly not that Pitch has ever seen. "You, you'd probably rather visit a schoolyard."

Profile

A chosen space for a chosen few misfits

June 2019

S M T W T F S
      1
2345678
91011121314 15
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      

Page Summary

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Oct. 2nd, 2026 05:40 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios